1. First decide what the problem is. Teach them to summarize the problem in just a few words.
2. Brainstorm for several solutions to the problem. Ask the child what ideas he/she has to
solve the problem
3. Evaluate the possible solutions. List the positive and negative effects of each possible solution.
4. Decide on the best solution. Consider the pros and cons of each possibility and make a decision for the best one.
5. Act on the solution by developing a plan to make the solution work. Few problems have just one solution, but by getting your children to think through what the consequences may be from their decision, will help them to make conscientious decisions.
6. If necessary apologize to those they have hurt and teach them to forgive those who hurt them.